Home » Forum » Kegerators, where to find a fridge to convert Register | Login
Subject: Kegerators, where to find a fridge to convert
Author: Hopper5000
Jan 4th, 2012
4:53 am
Hey all,

I am just getting into kegging but need to pick up a fridge that is big enough for two cornies and a 5 lb co2 tank. From what I can tell the fridge should be about 5 cubic feet at least and the Sanyo 4912 was a perfect one for this purpose. Well looks like they stopped manufacturing this one and anyone that is around this size in general. The next best ones I can see are only 4.6 and have freezers in them that would have to be removed. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking of going with a chest freezer and getting an external temp control. Thoughts? Thanks for the help.
Subject: Re: Kegerators, where to find a fridge to convert
Author: PaulD70
Jan 4th, 2012
5:08 am
I looked around quite a bit last year and couldn't find anything else like the Sanyo 4912. Bummer to hear they're not making them any more. It looks like Amazon might still have a few left: http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-SR-4912M-9-Cubic-Foot-Counter-High-Refrigerator/dp/B00158QNBG%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJVNVVU2BHW3GMS5A%26tag%3D50ab-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00158QNBG

That said, you could get a small chest freezer and temp controller that would probably hold several kegs for the same price, but it wouldn't look quite as nice IMHO.
Author: nightbrewer
Jan 4th, 2012
5:24 am
I decided to get a 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer and love it. It holds a 5 lb CO2 canister and 5 kegs with room to space for hops, malts, dextrose and yeast. You'll want to put a collar on it so you can dispense beer without opening it up. You'll need to also purchase a thermostat. All and all it's a fun Saturday project. If you feel that's too big, get one around 10 cu ft.

I estimate the cost for everything to be $800 [ (Freezer chest $400) + (Thermostat $75) + (Keg equipment $125) + (2 x kegs $80) + (CO2 $60 including gas) + (lumber, screws, insulation and paint $60) ]

It's worth every penny.

The freezer chest is a low risk project since you are not drilling holes, and possibly refrigerant lines. It's also a very economical what to go from an electrical POV.

Thermostat that works great for me wit the freezer chest:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/250922630482?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Nice example of a freezer chest conversion with a collar. (not mine)
http://www.oregonbrewcrew.com/freezer/freezer.html

This kits has all the parts you need to start serving beer from your freezer chest. I'm sure other places have these kits too.
http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=330

When I did this it was pretty easy and rewarding. I also got a smaller one that fits just a single carboy for fermenting lagers. When it's not being used for brewing it comes in handy for parties and turkeys.
Author: Shannon
Jan 4th, 2012
10:56 am
I second the idea to use a chest freezer. I think that when I was looking, I'd had to have gone with 7 cu ft as the smallest that would fit two cornies. If you've got the room, go big instead, I think. In the end, however, I found a stand-up refrigerator at a yard sale and use that to store four kegs and the 10# CO2 in my garage. I've got a 5 cu ft chest freezer next to it for fermenting. I live in FL, so that's the only way to really have a consistent fermentation temperature around 60-70F.
Author: brewboy_BB
Jan 4th, 2012
12:24 pm
Just make sure that your temp control has a +/- 2 degree or more deadband so you don't short cycle the compressor.
Author: BryansBrew
Jan 4th, 2012
1:05 pm
sucks that the Sanyo 4912 costs so much to ship. it's about $400 avg from most places.

At that point, you might as well get a real kegerator. The cheapest one I see is $600 shipped, but it includes the tower, faucets, CO2 tank and regulator, drip tray, and lines. All that stuff will cost you at least $200; so it's a wash, but you end up with a pre-assembled system meant to be a kegerator- not some DIY hack job that as soon as you drill into it, voids the warranty.

Of course, if you already have all that stuff, it's obviously cheaper to get a fridge or freezer and convert it on your own.
Author: WAbrewer
Jan 4th, 2012
9:21 pm
Why not just the route of a free/ cheap fridge on CL and tap through the door.. Mine fits 3, and I brought the gas through the floor to keep the CO2 out of the fridge to have a better read( cold CO2 reads @ a lower pressure, and can lead to running out of gas or exchanging when not fully empty)Then you have the freezer for hops, and I even have a shelf for my yeasts, starters and a couple 6 packs with the door full of bombers/ kids drinks..It all cost me 400 for 7 kegs, and a 3 tap system with a 3 way manifold and a dual pressure gauge..
Author: cdrsfrg
Jan 5th, 2012
11:37 am
I went the refrigerator route and love it. Here is a link to pictures.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1570744589150.2073585.1251544861&type=1&l=92b1e29536

Author: dstebor
Jan 8th, 2012
7:25 am
I got mine off CL $100 it was a refer over freezer i can fit 4 cornies with room to stack some half racks of what ever,

cdrsfrg +1 on the individual regulators!
Author: Dunkelbier
Jan 8th, 2012
6:05 pm
cdrsfrg - that's a very nice set up. Someday when I grow up and become wealthy, I want to do the same thing!
Author: petesgalaxy
Jan 8th, 2012
9:40 pm
heres mine, got the fridge at sears scatch and dent for 300.00, removed shelves from door. can now hold 6 corny kegs.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2448249607434.2108264.1287769291&type=1&l=ad526d49a5
Author: Marco
Jan 8th, 2012
11:05 pm
A couple years ago I found full size fridge with freezer on top on CL. It had two taps, a regulator, and lines. $130. built my own shelf and it now holds 5 cornies, I have taps in the door, chilled glasses on top, room for growlers, extra bottles - it's perfect! The kegs were the biggest expense.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.