Home » Forum » Turning mini fridge into a kegerator issue.... Register | Login
Subject: Turning mini fridge into a kegerator issue....
Author: Joe24571
Oct 13th, 2011
9:27 pm
Got everything I need to make my mini fridge into a kegerator, but I have ran into a bit of a "snag"

The mini fridge that I have has one of those freezer trays up to.

I THOUGHT it was going to be nice and simple, but realized that, that tray is piped with white tubing (Im assuming it holds feron)

How do I make this work!?!?!?!?

Can I just cut and seal the line and remove the tray??

Also, how do I go about making sure I don't drill through any other tubing when installing my tap tower?
Subject: Re: Turning mini fridge into a kegerator issue....
Author: EricHa
Oct 13th, 2011
9:35 pm
Those trays are usually piped with the freon line. DO NOT CUT IT! I'm not exactly sure what you can do w/o seeing pics of what you got...
Author: MAHOBART
Oct 13th, 2011
9:44 pm
When I did mine the freezer shelf is the cooling unit for the fridge. I loosened it and carefully cut
out the top being careful not to cut into the cooling running though the bottom and sides. Then using a socket to keep from kinking the line bent it down to where the bottom is against the back
wall of the fridge. With the top of the freezer cut out it allowed me to fit my keg inside. As for drilling
for the tap, after ruining one fridge I put mine through the door where I knew there were no lines.
Oct 14th, 2011
4:01 pm
The Mini Fridge is a Haier Model number HNSE05VS-01. 4.52 Cubic Feet
Oct 14th, 2011
4:03 pm
MAHOBART....if you could e-mail pictures of what your talking about, that would be VERY helpful

joseph.sutkus@gmail.com
Author: brewboy_BB
Oct 14th, 2011
4:08 pm
Whatever you do, just don't cut or crimp any Freon lines. If you do, it's nothing but a bulky boat anchor.
Oct 14th, 2011
4:10 pm
precisely what I'm afraid of! :-/

How in the hell do I work around this one?
Oct 14th, 2011
4:17 pm
Very carefully and I don't mean that in a smart @$$ way. Think and measure twice (or more) and cut once. Use one of those cheap tubing benders where possible.

I've never specifically done this, but I do have some experience with refrigeration. That's about all the advice I can offer. Good luck!!!
Author: dnfd737
Oct 14th, 2011
4:22 pm
Well, what are the total plans? More info would be nice.
Oct 14th, 2011
4:24 pm
Kegerator with a tower faucet system...

...what else do you need to know?
Oct 14th, 2011
4:28 pm
This might help:

http://missionarybrewer.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-kegerator/

The only problem I have with this is that a cool (return) line might not show up with the corn starch idea.
Author: MAHOBART
Oct 14th, 2011
4:29 pm
I will do my best to get you some pictures this weekend. Mine is also a Haier so I hope it will
be helpful for you.
Author: dnfd737
Oct 14th, 2011
4:40 pm
This is totaly different from the one I have envisioned. I can offer no advice other than the above.
Author: BryansBrew
Oct 14th, 2011
6:31 pm
like people have said above- the tray is what keeps the fridge cold, so you don't want to get rid of it. If you can somehow move it, that's your best bet. I was going to try that with my old mini frdige from college, but lo and behold- the sucker didn't work anymore.

I've also seen artiles where the person removed the compressor and that cooling tray and moved it to a whole new insulated cooler that fitted a carboy.
Oct 14th, 2011
11:39 pm
I think I might be SOL on this one....
Oct 15th, 2011
12:16 am
No guts, no glory. Go for it
Author: ibrewaletx
Oct 19th, 2011
12:30 pm
Any update? How did it turn out Joe24571?
Oct 20th, 2011
1:48 pm
Update is...

I'm not going to do it. I'm just going to go buy a new mini fridge that doesn't have a damn ice/freezer tray and go from there.

Looking at the freon line and how large the freezer tray is, there really is no way for me to get around it/the possibility for ruining the mini fridge is too high.

sooo....it will return to it's former glory of being my misc bottle beer fridge )

I already have the tower, tubes, and connections set up for a ball lock keg...so getting a pre-made kegerator would be kinda a waste at this point.

I MAY though....at a later date....make that mini fridge a kegeraror and have the tap off the front/door.....but that my friends, is for another time.
Author: BryansBrew
Oct 20th, 2011
7:16 pm
If you can find a mini fridge like that, let me know. I've never found one other than the ones sold as a kegerator with all the equipment (most of which i don't need).

You could find a full size fridge on CL or even get a new one. New ones start $350 which is half the cost of a kegerator.
Oct 20th, 2011
7:52 pm
Sure will!

Went mini fridge shopping today....total bust :-/

From what I have gathered, on of the best mini fridges to use/make into a kegerator is the Sanyo 4912....

It has NO....YES, NO freezer tray and is relatively easy to work with. Now I just got to find one, or one like it
Author: brewingdan
Oct 20th, 2011
10:41 pm
I tried this with one in the past and bent a little too far and pisssssssssss... Had to listen to TAPS.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.