Home » Forum » A Message to My Fellow TastyBrewers Register | Login
Subject: A Message to My Fellow TastyBrewers
Author: DavidS
Feb 2nd, 2009
2:53 pm
Many of you have asked why my name and post content have changed over the last few days, so hereís the reason. I received an email from Mr. Rob Hudson (Forum Moderator) saying the ďtoneĒ of my replies has upset some TastyBrew members and that I need to be more respectful. It appears than one or more of them have threatened to leave the forum. For this I am extremely sorry, but also confused.

My profile has always been public and, as many of you know, I do respond to emails sent to the address contained in that profile. Iím not sure why this person(s) decided that they needed to bother Mr. Hudson with this issue. Iíve always been one to address a problem first hand, but maybe thatís why I never was, nor ever wanted to be a hall monitor in elementary school. In any case, as long as my profile remains on TastyBrew, everyone should feel free to contact me directly at any time.

As I said, I do apologize for any bad feelings that might have occurred as a result of any replies that I made. I certainly would not want what happened in this thread to happen because of something I said. This was very unfortunate, but I commend Much2Brew from addressing the problem first hand.

http://www.tastybrew.com/forum/thread/113705

I replied to Mr. Hudson asking about what I said that offended someone or a link to the questionable thread, but I never received a response. I then decided to look back a few days and try and figure it out for myself. All I could come up with was the following:

1. I voted for the wrong president
2. I shop at the wrong store
3. I donít care what happens to the terrorists at Gitmo
4. I donít care if cop killers are roughed up a little
5. I abuse yeast by reusing it too often
6. I use buckets with plastic handles

The only other thing I noticed was that some people had sided with me on a few topics, so maybe the Fairness Doctrine is being upheld in public forums. I guess Iíll never know for sure.

Once again, I apologize to anyone that I have offended and ask that you give me, and TastyBrew, another chance. I will try and be more respectful and not start threads such as the Virtual Pub. Far too many people have visited it and topics may offend the more sensitive visitors. However, if for some reason I happen to say something that does upset you and if parts of your male anatomy have not been surgically removed, please feel free to contact me at the email address listed in my profile. If for some reason my profile is removed, just ask for it on the forum. There should be someone that can provide you with an address.

Mr. Hudson, I am also sorry that you had to be bothered with this situation and appreciate you letting me correct the problem. You do a wonderful job at maintaining TastyBrew.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Subject: Re: A Message to My Fellow TastyBrewers
Author: CNYBrewing
Feb 2nd, 2009
2:57 pm
you got my vote in 2012
Author: Ohiobrewman
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:13 pm
BB,

I figured something had to be amiss.
Anyways glad your still here and not sure who it was.

I wouldn't concede to try to guess.
I know I have made some mistakes here as well.
I try not to let it get out of hand, Lately when I feel I do, I try to go cool down.

Glad to be a TastyBrewer and have the good friends we share here.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:16 pm
Thank you, Mr. White and Mr. Pooper.

Author: mroakley
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:17 pm
First, I have not contacted anyone about you. I don't take things on the Internet so seriously that I'm personally offended by what people say. Secondly, what I'm about to say is in no way meant to upset you or rile you up. They are simply observations. And that being said, a few for your consideration.

1. The perceived tone you have used and the way you have phrased the following:

"1. I voted for the wrong president
6. I use buckets with plastic handles"

can be easily perceived as a sarcastic "jab" at those that disagree with you.

2. Comments such as this:

"and if parts of your male anatomy have not been surgically removed,"

are wholly unnecessary and can easily be perceived as a "jab" at those who disagree with you.

3. If people perceive the above as "jabs," along with your perceived tone, then they probably don't consider your apology as totally sincere.

4. "topics may offend the more sensitive visitors."

It's rare when a forum is able to handle topics such as religion and politics in a respectful way. It's extremely difficult. It's why, despite my love of a good debate, I spearheaded the effort to ban them on a message board I moderated for a number of years. (The topics were banned shortly after my effort.)

You're most certainly entitled to your opinions and feelings and I'm not telling you that you're right or wrong about any of them. These are just my observations. If you glean anything from them, great. If not, no worries. My $.02.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:20 pm
I'm really sorry that you feel that way, Mr. Dan R, but have a great day anyway.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:22 pm
Feel what way? They are observations about what others can perceive in your comments. As for me, I really don't care.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:24 pm
Thank you for suggesting what others perceive.

Have a wonderful day, Dan.

Edit: Once again, I am sorry. That should have been Mr. Dan. I'm still some what of a "respectfulness" virgin.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:26 pm
You crack me up, BB

"Thank you for suggesting what others perceive."

ROFLMAO

Thats right up there with "Dear Reader" LOL
Author: Chaselakebeer
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:28 pm
So, it had nothing to do with a high fever at all..........man I was way off.

CLB
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:31 pm
No, Mr CLB, I was not sick, but thank you for your concerns.

I'm about to go do a little shopping. I won't say where, as I don't want to offend anyone, so every one, please have a great day.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:31 pm
*sigh*

I'm seriously just trying to help you out man. It is quite easy for people to feel jabbed at with both the perceived tone of your post as well as some of the comments you've made in your post. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to help you see that.

You too have a wonderful day.
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:40 pm
Thanks for trying Mr DanR. Maybe I just can't be, as you would perceive.

But what the hell, have a good one.

Author: Burp
Feb 2nd, 2009
3:41 pm
I want to hear what the other side of the aisle has to say about present day topics, ie, global warming, bail outs, abortion, guns, God, race, sailing and any other subjects that are taboo. That is why I like the thread Virtual Pub. I want and if I may say, I think we all need to listen to one another on those subjects and ask questions why one thinks that way or the other. My gosh people if we homebrewers can't sit down and talk about how many angles can dance on a bottle cap what hope is there for our society that is becoming more ethnic and culturally diverse?

The most important thing I have learned from Tastybrew is others peoples taste in beer is just as correct as mine. Just don't ask me to pay for your beer.

Feb 2nd, 2009
4:00 pm
"Maybe I just can't be, as you would perceive."

It's not just my perception you have to worry about. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist eh?

"I want to hear what the other side of the aisle has to say about present day topics, ie, global warming, bail outs, abortion, guns, God, race, sailing and any other subjects that are taboo. That is why I like the thread Virtual Pub."

As I said earlier, I like a good debate. The problem is that people are so passionate about certain topics (abortion, religion and politics are the biggies) that threads discussing such topics almost always degenerate into flame fests, name calling and personal attacks.

In the forum that I moderated, once those three topics were banned, the forum became a much more pleasant place.
Author: danno
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:04 pm
Funny, I also believe in the...

1. I voted for the wrong president
6. I use buckets with plastic handles

Except for #1. I voted for the right guy but he didn't win.

Wait, I don't shop at the wrong store but SWMBO does.

Oh ya, I care what happens to the detainees at Gitmo. Close it down and make them swim back to the Middle East.

Never, ever abuse yeast except if your BW is over 30° plato.

Everyone knows my feeling on buckets...

BB, I don't know what you have to apologize for. I guess they'll be coming after me next.

Author: rrbrew
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:08 pm
"It is quite easy for people to feel jabbed at with both the perceived tone of your post as well as some of the comments you've made in your post."

I agree.
BB,
I'm just a dumb ol' country boy but I can tell when someone isnt sincere, well most of th' time.
You have never picked on me that I can tell and you always treated me respectfully,BB, as I
have always you, but there have been times I didnt care for th' way you treated others. It has
nothing to do with 1,2,3,4,5 or 6, it's how you present your ideals, agree to disagree and move on. I guess what I'm tryin' to say is you can go to far and it can hurt some folks and I really don't find that funny.
Author: knipknup
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:13 pm
IB4TL

Can't we all just get along?
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:15 pm
Aren't we getting along?

That being said, apology and "goodbye" threads on my other message board are always immediately locked.
Author: DConn
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:44 pm
None are so blind as those who will not see.
Author: AZbrewman
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:48 pm
I'm offended you changed you aka from TXbrewboy to toned down in TX but I'll get over it.

Author: FACEINTHECROWD
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:51 pm
what are your guys thoughts on beer?
Feb 2nd, 2009
4:53 pm
My thought is that it should be drank.............

CLB
Feb 2nd, 2009
5:04 pm
"My thought is that it should be drank............."

Indeed. Though I'm trying to cut back.

I looked at the calorie count for my RIS the other day...496 calories a pint!
Author: Bopper
Feb 2nd, 2009
5:08 pm
Brew-Boy!

It's........100% .. no.6. I use buckets with plastic handles.....thats the major problem? Everyone thought you was a prestige brewer with SS conical fermenters and there you with 50 cents plastic buckets, Quote with plastic handles!

Richard
Author: radtek
Feb 2nd, 2009
6:09 pm
I've been a member here for quite a while. Against my better instincts I'll chirp up. This is a venue for exchange of information. Mostly we keep it beer related. Politics, Social and National issues have cropped up from time to time. Religion has been mercifully left alone... These topics are OK IMO as long as everyone remembers to be respectful of each other. On a few occasions this has failed... Probably due to alcohol consumption and corresponding poor judgment. Admittedly, I've made mistakes with certain posts. Since last summer- well the tone of some of the posts have been aggressive and insulting. This is supposed to be fun. However, the relative anonymity of the web frequently allows for shenanigans.

BB- respectfully. I hope you don't go anywhere. You are a vibrant resource. Rob has been pretty much hands off with the site, so for him to approach you is probably fairly serious. But, as appearances go- you don't seem very repentant and your apology doesn't appear sincere. In my experience left-handed apologies don't go over very well.

Having the last word on a subject- well, it isn't always the best thing. One of the principles I try to live by is this: Would I rather be right or happy? I choose happy every time. So sometimes it's better to hold one's tongue and stay the fingers and let it go. And that's what I'll try to do.

Author: JCF
Feb 2nd, 2009
6:43 pm
This came up in the random quotes...

Beer has long been the prime lubricant in our social intercourse and the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship. To sink a few cold ones with the blokes is both an escape and a confirmation of belonging.
Feb 2nd, 2009
6:54 pm
That scares me.............................

CLB
Author: JCF
Feb 2nd, 2009
7:00 pm
The "social intercourse" or the "ritual of mateship"?
Author: Rosace
Feb 2nd, 2009
7:00 pm
I think Im going to pour myself a nice glass of home brewed anointing fluid blessed with large amounts of heavenly hop goodness.
Feb 2nd, 2009
7:09 pm
With whats going on here today.

The Holy Fluid might be a good thing to stay away from!!! lol
Feb 2nd, 2009
9:30 pm
"In the forum that I moderated, once those three topics were banned, the forum became a much more pleasant place."

"That being said, apology and "goodbye" threads on my other message board are always immediately locked"

Mr DadR, is that the Lock and Block forum?

"The problem is that people are so passionate about certain topics (abortion, religion and politics are the biggies) that threads discussing such topics almost always degenerate into flame fests, name calling and personal attacks."

With all due respect, I just don't see that happening here. Sure, there's a little humor and some tongue in cheek zings, but nothing really serious or what I would consider flaming.

"None are so blind as those who will not see."

Even a blind squirrel will sometimes find a nut.

Feb 2nd, 2009
9:36 pm
I think were all alittle bit Nuts, We are all Homebrewers..
Author: jmo
Feb 2nd, 2009
9:43 pm
Rad couldn't have said it better. We all have valuable input, and if that input occasionally comes with some baggage, as long as it's somewhat respectful, hey, I can handle that. This, and any other, forum would be pretty damned boring without some 'personality' thrown in from time to time. That's why God made books.

Anybody out there have Sirius satellite radio? And if so, have you listened to the Jim Breuer show on Raw Dog? It recently went from five days a week to only Fridays (pisser), but it's a lot like a forum - occasionally a topic, but not always, and discussion can be quite spirited and entertaining - and the only rule is, "don't be a dick." Simply put, and words to live by.

Regulators, mount up. We need all the cowboys we can get. Glad you're still with us, BB.
Feb 2nd, 2009
9:47 pm
Thanks, Mr jmo. Glad to still be here for as long as I last.
Author: knipknup
Feb 2nd, 2009
9:50 pm
You are all my good brewing family! Typically where the best fights take place.
Feb 3rd, 2009
12:56 am
Ya know, I thought I was going to be wacked some time back for the arguments I had with Mr. Jarvis.

In hind sight it was good for me to...how do you say, "tone down" a little.

We have this saying at this German drinking festival I go to every year (21 years now). It is invitation only and maybe about 100 people for 48 hours (30 kegs hacker, spaten and paulaner). No fighting, if asked to leave you can never come back, and in all my years I have seen 1 fight. It's a bunch of old hippies and other fun loving people.

Anyway the saying goes,

"If someone annoys you, go talk to someone else, if that person annoys you, It's probably you, go to bed"

I think if we all live by that, the world will be a happier place.

I do not mean this in a way to offend anyone, most of all you BB.

CLB

Author: niquejim
Feb 3rd, 2009
1:00 am
"If someone annoys you, go talk to someone else, if that person annoys you, It's probably you, go to bed"

I'm going to live by that motto from now on.
Author: FACEINTHECROWD
Feb 3rd, 2009
3:38 am
This is a damn shame. BB You souldnt apologize (sarcastic or not) for how your personallity. This is a website for BEER. The legal consumption age is 21 across the board. I think of this site as some great bar (OK fine Brewery) were everyone knows about the beer they are drinking. With that point, This is a pretty up tight bar. I have been reader for Atleast a year here and have yet to see the F-word completely typed out.

F it. I want to see want to hear everyones opinions on beat and burnt orphan religious aborted babies.

Said day when the kkk can speak on some city hall stairs whatever the hell they want in public yet somewhere in this little corner of the www one person got offended.

I'm going back to watching Oprah this is just too much.
Feb 3rd, 2009
3:54 am
Easy Killer..............you come to this site because there is a lot of knowledge here.............

This whole thing aside......because BB is my friend...........we can't just say everything that pops into our mind or the whole thing will go to hell in a handbag............and I'm not saying BB did that. I have seen things here that don't belong. I have been guilty myself, many times.

In order to have a truly great site we have to allow all opinions and ideas. We have the V pub for that and it's cool. But if something happens and people get offended we as humans have to respect it and rise above. There is just no reason to have anyone here feel uncomfortable and if that has happened we all need to take a look at ourselves and say, am I doing the best I can, and if the answer is yes, then we don't have a problem.

I think I have this figured out and there will be no more discussion of it.................JK

CLB
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:00 am
"Said day when the kkk can speak on some city hall stairs whatever the hell they want in public yet somewhere in this little corner of the www one person got offended."

You allude to the classic freedom of speech argument.

Problem is, there is no such thing on an Internet message board. Bottom line is that you follow the rules of the site's owner/administrator or you're gone.
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:08 am
........Problem is, there is no such thing on an Internet message board. Bottom line is that you follow the rules of the site's owner/administrator or you're gone.

Well I don't think that the rules are that stringent here.

We just have to be nice to others, and isn't that what we should do anyway????????

CLB
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:17 am
When you look at this group, as a whole, only a very few people get upset and are offended by the comments made by others. Most everyone takes a shot back at the offender and moves on. If I got offended by every liberal that took a stab at me in the VP, I'd have left a long time ago or would have gone to sit in the corner and cry. The truth is, I like to hear opposing opinions and have said that just recently.

The fact is, the VP is a very popular site even given the fact that this IS a brewing site. If you want to come in pub, you're free to do so, but if not, you don't have to. The problem I have is the ones that get offended and go crying "Robby, Robby Robby, BrewBoy hurt my feelings". That takes up Rob's time and could cause all of us to lose a fun place to "hang out". Sorry, I'm not trying to start an argument, just making a point.

Are we having fun yet?
Author: dnb
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:21 am
Hello BrewBoy, I don't see a problem with your opinions... thats what makes America GREAT! Provided...

1.) You don't mind if I vote for the wrong candidate in any future political races, or if you think I did recently even?

2.) I probably shop at all the wrong stores too so I personally could less give two shyts. LOL!

3.) I do care what happens to the terrorists at Gitmo... they should be put in a prison below ground... literally... I think there is one in MO (?) and its supposedly the most secure prison in the USA. Or they should be put to death... probably less expensive and things are a bit tight since our former president felt the need to start something he never really intended to finish... you know that old saying... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it.

4.) I don't care if cop killers are roughed up, even put to death... nor do I care if killer cops are dealt street justice if the system doesn't or won't.

5.) You must make more brews than me if you abuse your yeast like that... therefore you need to make amends and send me one or several brews so that I might discern to what extent you've abused these yeast.

6.) Just pray that you don't have to make Merlot in a toilet some day.

Btw... I just felt like responding... haven't a clue who complained about you or what it was even about. But this Has been fun.
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:25 am
Yeah, I should explain that I DO care about what happens to the Gitmo prisoners, if it means releasing them or bringing them over here.

"haven't a clue who complained about you or what it was even about"

That makes 2 of us.
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:46 am
Who really gives a shit........ya I said it.......who made the complaint.

Damn it, why would we want anyone to be offended by our comments.

God damn it....lets just get along..........it's not that hard.

Is the point really who squealed, people got hurt (not me) but someone did.

Isn't that all that matters.........

You tell me.........are our opinions so important that we have to express the controversial ones at anyone expense. I would like to think we could all rise above..........I can see feelings were hurt here.....That's hard but lets make this a positive thing............is it even possible?

I think it is.

CLB
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:49 am
ahhhhh - good to see the ol' BB back.

Now, let's head over to the VP and have a pint of Bitter . . . (all puns intended ). . . I'm buying.
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:52 am
Yeah, I got a little off course there.

Everyone have a nice evening. Peace, love, flowers.
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:06 am
"Well I don't think that the rules are that stringent here."

Doesn't seem so.

But I also didn't bring up the KKK.
Author: TexasZman
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:11 am
BB,

You need to stick around on this forum. You have as much insight into brewing and add just as much as Denny! (well, almost). That said, I don't remember anything that could have been "misconstrued" as evil, racist, or otherwise underhanded. Besides that, Starless Dragon says you make good beer. And if a Carp fisherman says you make good beer, then that's good enough for me!

I enjoy this forum a bunch, because 99% of what is shared here pertains to the hobby we all love. If you want to see people with thin skin, who don't observe the rules of their forum I could point you to a few of those.

Let's keep this (mostly) beer-related and have fun with our obsession, er, hobby. RDWHAHB - isn't that what life should be about?

Kelly (aka TexasZman)
a proud member of the Texas Fishing Forum
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:14 am
........"Well I don't think that the rules are that stringent here."

..............Doesn't seem so.

......................But I also didn't bring up the KKK.

Are you just being a dick Dan???????????.......are you trying to make trouble.

Because truth be told you are guy I was defending...........

Was I wrong?

CLB
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:16 am
"But I also didn't bring up the KKK. "

Again, not to start an argument, but why did you bring that up?
Author: jtrainer
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:21 am
Ok here it goes....

The reason I narked you off.... I stopped by and stole a couple kegs from your place.... The first keg was damm bland and tasteless, almost like starsan solution... yuck. The second keg had soime decent beer but the infection was just too much... The third keg was OK and BTW, the dog pointed me to it. Talented dog, he could pee his name standing up. The fourth keg, well let's just say BORING. No wonder the gardener is around daily.... So the keg that was warm this morning.... be carefulll

In our politically heated threads.... both Denny and Dan R have made points that made me ponder others thoughts, while they didn't change my mind on our Prez, they did raise some good points that needed considering. Time will tell who was right wrong or it will simply not matter in 10 years...

The views expressed are always one sided, but which of the many sides do you have faith in...? wait faith is religious and I'll skip that analogy...

Welcome.bak my brewing brother...

Hey where is N8 and Jarvis in all this group hug....

Feb 3rd, 2009
5:24 am
If it tasted like Starsan, you hit the wrong house. I've never used that stuff.

I haven't seen N8 in quite a while. Matt pops in from time to time. We need to get another one of their gay rants going on again.
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:26 am
uh oh here he goes again....

Feb 3rd, 2009
5:29 am
Well since this is a message to all TBers, I'm going to bed.

Oh, and have a great day tomorrow. XXX and OOO
Author: mjarvis
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:39 am
N8 and I gots our own thang going on, ThankYouVeryMuch... we'll be back with all you boys in a few....

Why is it that anytime the word a$$hole is used in a TB thread, MY name always comes up????

--/\/\--
Author: BrewerBob
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:47 am
Cheese and Crackers... I've already got an Espresso Asylum Project going on here at my shop do I need a homebrew asylum project? Why can't we all just get along?
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:49 am
..............Why is it that anytime the word a$$hole is used in a TB thread, MY name always comes up????

That has got to be a coincidence Matt......................There just can't be more to it than that.

Oh ya, good to see you.....where ya been?

CLB
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:53 am
Chained to the 2.5 Kilo Roaster dealing with the whole Espresso Asylum issue...don't even ask! I'm not kidding!
Author: mjarvis
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:55 am
Hanging at Bob G's place in sunny CA man! Best Espresso, chocolate, cheese and crackers on the planet!

Well worth the trip!

--/\/\--
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:56 am
"Are you just being a dick Dan???????????.......are you trying to make trouble."

Nope. I brought up that there is no such thing as freedom of speech on an Internet message board in response to faceinthecrowd who made a reference to the KKK. I said if you don't follow the rules set forth by the owner/admin, then you're gone. Nothing more, nothing less.
Feb 3rd, 2009
6:02 am
Sometimes I just don't even respond to a post I think shouldn't be responded to...........mostly if I feel it has no merit................

CLB

Feb 3rd, 2009
6:14 am
I miss all of my Eugene and Portland buddies. How are you doing these daze Matt? I hope you are doing well in these crazy times. We're only here for so many beers. I'm still brewing.
Author: Arin
Feb 3rd, 2009
6:31 am
"Sometimes I just don't even respond to a post I think shouldn't be responded to...........mostly if I feel it has no merit................"

oh, now i know why no one ever responds to my posts! jk
Author: rainbeer
Feb 3rd, 2009
12:54 pm
Girls...girls... girls...like I have posted before if you can't get along you are going straight to your room when we get home!

BB and DanR...r u guys really going tit for tat on an online forum?

Really? Come on dudes let it go!
Feb 3rd, 2009
1:07 pm
"BB and DanR...r u guys really going tit for tat on an online forum?"

Nope. If you read from the top, I never even mentioned DanR until he popped in and tried to tell me how to conduct myself and how he runs a forum.

Everything is cool here. Have a super day!

Matt, tell N8 hello for me. I think of him every time I look at a yeast cake.

Feb 3rd, 2009
3:18 pm
BB, I guess that's better than thinking of him when I take my shoes off....

Feb 3rd, 2009
3:33 pm

Nope. As a general rule I respond to nothing he says. And I haven't in weeks. I made the exception for this thread as I was genuinely trying to help the guy out. He doesn't understand how his comments are (apparently) perceived by some as inappropriate. He didn't feel that his comments were inappropriate and we've moved on.

(I responded to him directly a couple of times at the beginning of the thread and that was it.)

Feb 3rd, 2009
3:37 pm
I don't feel that Dave's comment's are inappropriate at all.

I feel as though he just stated his opinion no matter how it was "Perceived" by others.
I mean this is a Beer Place on the Internet.

So to each his own.
I also try to stay away from the "F" word subject all together.
Cause it's one of my favorite words.

Feb 3rd, 2009
3:37 pm
"BB, I guess that's better than thinking of him when I take my shoes off...."

Or when you see a moldy piece of bread.

Dan who?
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:05 pm
"Beer has long been the prime lubricant in our social intercourse and the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship."

That reminds me. I've got to brew up another batch of KY Ale.
Author: TheTruth
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:31 pm
Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it.....
Feb 3rd, 2009
4:46 pm
Ain't that the truth.
Author: BrewPete
Feb 3rd, 2009
5:06 pm
"Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it..... "

Presentation is equally important as content.
Feb 3rd, 2009
7:47 pm
"Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it..... "

Yup, I agree completely.

Shawn, we don't make inappropriate comments, we're just misunderstood.
Feb 3rd, 2009
8:45 pm
I've known that for years..... Just like when she says no..... just misunderstood....

Author: rob
Feb 3rd, 2009
10:30 pm
"I will try and be more respectful and not start threads such as the Virtual Pub."

I actually think the Virtual Pubs are a Good Thing(TM). Maybe one should be started each month? That way those that want pure brewing talk know which forum threads to avoid. Those that want respectful debate can go to the Virtual Pub and relish in the social intercourse while drinking of the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship.

-Rob
Author: Rosace
Feb 3rd, 2009
10:35 pm
whats with the trade mark Rob?
Feb 3rd, 2009
10:43 pm
I agree Mr. Hudson, the Virtual Pub(TM) is a great hang out, especially for guys like Pooper, J, AZ, DanR, etc, who like to raise a little hell every once in a while.

You can usually find me in the Virtual Church praying for the sinners in the VP.
Author: Parma_Bob
Feb 4th, 2009
12:10 am
I like the idea of a virtual pub as well. I should also say that I have not been offended at all by any topic or post or poster at TB since joining. I tend to believe that if you don't like what you're reading/hearing/watching then change the channel. There are so many annoyances that cannot be avoided through out the day that when I come across some that can I change the channel.

Brewing is fun, beer is fun. I come here to talk about and learn about beer and brewing. A virtual pub helps keep threads from being hijacked. A monthly VP seems like a good idea so it doesn't get too big. I have cable internet at home and a LAN line at work and the current VP still takes a while to load. Not that I read it

Anyway.....someone tell a brewing story!
Author: TimO
Feb 4th, 2009
12:14 am
"while drinking of the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship"

Man, I can hear Beavis and Butthead laughing it up now

Good job Rob, keep up the good work and keep a separate kiddie table off to the side for the less serious stuff.
Feb 4th, 2009
4:38 am
uhhhhhh heh heh heh . . . heh heh heh . . . he said "fluid" . . .
Feb 4th, 2009
4:50 am
Hurray for Rob, Hip Hip Hurray!

So Rob, if your still following this thread.... would you please tally the monthly VP's for total posts for the TastyBrew Annual Thread Awards?

Author: BB_BrewBoy
Jun 23rd, 2015
9:58 pm
So, who won?
Jun 25th, 2015
8:36 pm
Author: rob Feb 3rd, 2009
10:30 pm
"I will try and be more respectful and not start threads such as the Virtual Pub."

I actually think the Virtual Pubs are a Good Thing(TM). Maybe one should be started each month? That way those that want pure brewing talk know which forum threads to avoid. Those that want respectful debate can go to the Virtual Pub and relish in the social intercourse while drinking of the sacred throat-anointing fluid that accompanies the ritual of mateship.

-Rob

I thought this was the most intelligent post in this thread and that includes the OP.
Jun 25th, 2015
8:54 pm
You've got another forum with which to have your Virtual Pub David.

Don't say one thing wrong though. You'll get banned. Unlike here.
Jun 25th, 2015
9:00 pm
"Subject: Re: A Message to My Fellow TastyBrewers
Author: mroakley Jun 25th, 2015
3:54 pm
You've got another forum with which to have your Virtual Pub David.

Don't say one thing wrong though. You'll get banned."

"Nope. As a general rule I respond to nothing he says. And I haven't in weeks."

"Are you just being a dick Dan???????????.......are you trying to make trouble."

Jun 25th, 2015
9:04 pm
You're bumping a six year old thread, yourself, twice in row, to not start trouble? Go back to your other forum. Much appreciated.
Jun 25th, 2015
9:08 pm
Author: mroakley Jun 25th, 2015
4:04 pm
You're bumping a six year old thread, consecutively, to not start trouble? Go back to your other forum. Much appreciated."

Author: mroakley Feb 3rd, 2009
10:33 am

Nope. As a general rule I respond to nothing he says. And I haven't in weeks. I made the exception for this thread as I was genuinely trying to help the guy out. He doesn't understand how his comments are (apparently) perceived by some as inappropriate. He didn't feel that his comments were inappropriate and we've moved on.

(I responded to him directly a couple of times at the beginning of the thread and that was it.)

Jun 25th, 2015
9:10 pm
You can have the last word, Mr. mroakley.
Author: Legendary
Jun 29th, 2015
9:32 pm
I don't know any of you guys, but I can see exactly why there was a problem in the first place. It's a clear case of someone who can't be informed of an issue because he can't possibly have one. My 12 year old daughter does the same thing. I also don't care if I get banned for this, since this forum has been the playground of some talented but immature brewers. Not knowing any of you at all, I find myself completely of the same mindset as 'mroakley'. Whoever 'DavidS' is, man, you're just a dick. This is from an unbiased, outside observer. If you begin to realize that you are one, you can begin the process of changing it. No worries though, your life.
Jun 29th, 2015
11:48 pm
I think it's funny as hell that someone comes in here saying they don't know anyone, but then starts calling someone a dick.

ROTFLMAO
Jun 29th, 2015
11:49 pm
It's logical?

*edit* Well now my response makes no sense since David has changed all of his comments above. Suffice it to say...if you're unhappy here, go back to your other forum. Cheers.
Jun 29th, 2015
11:57 pm
Author: mroakley Jun 29th, 2015
6:49 pm
It's logical?"

And it gets even funnier.
Author: porch
Jun 30th, 2015
1:33 am
I like beer. If this thread was a person it would be old enough to be in kindergarten. Wyeast 1098 rules.
Author: kellyhh
Jun 30th, 2015
2:11 am
Yep. I try not to get too butthurt about brewing beer. But sometimes people tell me not to decoct or that I better rehydrate my dry yeast and I just want TO STAB THEM IN THE NECK.

I certainly don't do this as just hobby, you know for fun and stuff.
Author: Burp
Jun 30th, 2015
2:35 am
kellyhh, I'm a bit confused and a tad buzzed so if what you said makes sense then its me and not you.
I pitch my dry yeast right on top of the wort. I don't rehydrate but I've never really wanted to stab someone in the neck because they told me to rehydrate.

Now to the last sentence, "I certainly don't do this as just hobby, you know for fun and stuff."
do this?? what brew beer or stab people in the neck? and is stabbing people in the neck really "fun and stuff"?

Jun 30th, 2015
2:44 am
Please don't stab Denny in the neck because he rehydrates his yeast.
Jun 30th, 2015
6:17 am
You don't have to rehydrate a smack pack of 1098.
Jun 30th, 2015
3:43 pm
No, I don't rehydrate dry yeast. Haven't seen it make any difference.
Jun 30th, 2015
3:52 pm
"Subject: Re: Safale US-56
Author: DConn May 31st, 2005
11:18 am
Yep, I did it just like Arthur. I usually rehydrate dry yeast, but the instructions said just sprinkle it on and stir it in so that's what I did. No problems... "

Denny voted FOR rehydrating dry yeast before he voted AGAINST it.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:21 pm
Unrelated, you have the time to find and post a 10 year old post? And you're not trying to cause problems?
Jun 30th, 2015
4:22 pm
That was 10 years ago...I don't know about you, but I've learned some things since then.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:25 pm
Many experts and companies suggest rehydrating dry yeast. In fact, you're in the minority.

And in response to your snarky comment, yes, I have learned a few things over the years. That said, what I think may be good, may not be what the experts think, and I'm inclined to believe the pros.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:26 pm
Author: mroakley Jun 30th, 2015
11:21 am
Unrelated, you have the time to find and post a 10 year old post? And you're not trying to cause problems?"

Have you not posted several times in here? IE pot/kettle
Jun 30th, 2015
4:27 pm
I'm inclined to believe my own experience. You can do what works for you.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:29 pm
I'm no pro, for sure, but I've seen no difference with rehydrating vs not rehydrating. For what it's worth. My $.02.

David, you're clearly unhappy here. Go to your other forum.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:36 pm
No problem with that, but TastyBrew followers should be aware that MANY experts disagree with you, including Palmer, Mr. Malty and Fermentis, just to name a few.

"rehydration instructions
Sprinkle the yeast in minimum 10 times its weight of sterile water or wort at 27°C ± 3°C (80°F ± 6°F). Leave to rest 15 to 30 minutes.
Gently stir for 30 minutes, and pitch the resultant cream into the fermentation vessel.
Alternatively, pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of the wort is above 20°C (68°F). Progressively sprinkle
the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes, then mix the
wort using aeration or by wort addition"

This was from a US-05 spec sheet.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:54 pm
I think every brewer should try it both ways and decide for themselves.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:57 pm
Again, I'm no pro or expert or whatever term you want to use, but I've done simultaneous fermentations with both rehydrated yeast or just "throwing it in" a few times. Based on the homebrew club tastings (which include a number of BJCP certified judges), no real discernible differences. If you feel it makes a difference one way or the other, go for it.
Jun 30th, 2015
4:57 pm
A question, David...many "experts", including mrmalty that you quoted, recommend against making starters for dry yeast, or say that at the very least it's unnecessary. Yet I know you do that with US-05, contrary to the advice of the "experts". Don't you use the same reasoning as I do, that you're just doing what your experience tells you works best for you?
Jun 30th, 2015
4:59 pm
I never said I was for or against rehydration. I just think people should know that you (and I suppose myself) are in the minority.

Yes, I make starters with dry yeast, but I never pitch dry. Well, except into the starter.

Now, back to my question? Who do you need to know to be able to call someone a dick?
Jun 30th, 2015
7:09 pm
There is a lot of good information on this site. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of trolls. It seems like one or two people are pushing a personal agenda against one or two others, and it's a real detriment to what could be, and apparently once was a great community.

Let it go, guys. It's beer. You brew it. You drink it. You turn it into piss, and flush it down the toilet. Is it really worth the childish name calling?

At the very least, agree to disagree, and leave it at that.
Jun 30th, 2015
8:01 pm
Getting back to beer, I would recommend rehydrating dry yeast and not pitching it directly onto high gravity yeast. It's not hard to do and only takes a few minutes.
Jun 30th, 2015
9:59 pm
Actually, I've seen several people answer questions, give tips, or just pass on experience. And that's great. But it's people like you who don't seem to be able to hear a dissenting opinion without taking it personally who ruin it for me. Every time Denny answers a question, you almost immediately take the opportunity to question his judgment or experience, or just berate him for an opinion. Why? It's just a discussion. Even a heated discussion, debate, whatever, is an exchange of ideas. Nobody says you have to agree at the end of it.

Even if the opposing person is calling you out, it's just beer, and your knowledge and experience are your own. At some point you have to ask yourself why you get so defensive? Is it really that important?

I can understand wanting proof or scientific qualification for ideas that are new to you or are contrary to your own experience, but starting a flame war about it is just childish.
Jul 1st, 2015
3:31 am
SMACK PACK! why must you all disagree with me? Wah!
Jul 1st, 2015
3:38 pm
You don't make a starter using the smack pack? Just throw it in? If you have a high gravity beer, are you pitching multiple packs?

This may be contrarian, but if I'm using any liquid yeast, I'm making a starter. If I'm using dry yeast, I just throw it in.

Jul 1st, 2015
3:58 pm
Yeah, I've found that I get better performance by always making a starter for liquid yeast.
Nov 30th, 2015
5:09 am
Aliens are real... they have told me how to adjust my new local water...
Nov 30th, 2015
8:32 pm
Cool.

Provide details.
Author: redbrew
Dec 1st, 2015
9:02 pm
They told me to use Bru'nwater. Its what they use.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.