Home » Forum » Guys like shopping too Register | Login
Subject: Guys like shopping too
Author: SOGOAK
Nov 26th, 2008
9:19 pm
He He I figured that subject would draw ire. Seriously as much as people rant about LHBS pricing, nothing beats walking away with a couple grocery bags and a headful of hopes and schmemes.

Today's installment was another carboy, I have been all bottled up on secondary. I probably should have gotten 2, but the thought of having a bunch of empties seems wasteful.

More whole hops and US05 (Mt. Hood and Amarillo)
10# Base Malts
4-5# Various specialty malts
US23
Some kind of Wyeast I think 1214 belgain abby
DME
LME

Good Convo with the new owner. 27 yr old guy buying out the old purveyor-living the dream. I thought he was pretty cool the first or second times anyway. He offered today to show me/help me roll my own ICs if they aren't busy. I wasn't so much whining about price, but saying I like DIY.

So Friday Morning, I stay in Daddy Mode while SWMBO shops, Then Friday Night the brewery comes back on line. Goals:

-Get at least 5gal in bottles probably Fat Kid 2.0
-Do initial Lambic boil
-Build out Lager Closet
-If I can sneak the extra time, I wouldn't mind making the nutbrown kit that is on the finnished beer shelf.
-Of course there are a few brews to try that have been aging too.

We'll see, Saturday We have another family type deal, but it is solid. A defrocked Priest gets his Itailian on in a big way. The neighbors youngest moved to Iowa, but we are planning a little tasting session.

On the front end of the weekend, the possibilities seem endless.
Subject: Re: Guys like shopping too
Author: hankus
Nov 26th, 2008
10:24 pm
U wrote
"A defrocked Priest"

I believe the correct expression is "he kicked the habit" :>:>
Author: roosterjd
Nov 27th, 2008
12:28 am
C'mon Hank!

Nun of that!
Author: DConn
Nov 27th, 2008
7:08 pm
Um, did you mean S-23 for the yeast? If so, either take it back or throw it away if you love your beer!
Author: radtek
Nov 28th, 2008
8:52 pm
Is that a bad lager yeast?
Author: c3h8grant
Nov 29th, 2008
4:50 pm
There is a thread that discusses the pro's and con's of S-23. After reading it myself, it looks like there are more negative comments about that dry yeast.

There is another thread discussing another dry lager yeast, S-189, which seems to have more positive feedback.
Nov 29th, 2008
4:52 pm
Bad isn't a bad enough word for it.....

34/70 is pretty good and S-189 is real good if you can find it.
Nov 30th, 2008
5:52 am
hmmm, I will have to get something else then. You can't have one $2-7 piece of the puzzle mess the whole batch.

I did pretty good this weekend so far.
-got the lambic on yeast.
-bottled 2 batches
-built 60' IC
-cleaned up
-bought 2 xmas trees for SWMBO put the indoor one up.
Author: hankus
Nov 30th, 2008
5:52 pm
My 2 experiences with S-189 were great and it is now my standard lager yeast.FWIW,My "marooned on a desert island yeast" is Nottingham which will prosper at low temps and will give a close to lager result
...and Slim Sparty,please visit my recent post on ICs and consider modifying the 60' IC
Dec 10th, 2008
6:32 pm
I swapped the S-23 for US-05 And got the Wyeast Bavarian Lager. It is in the fridge so I don't know the number.

When doing a starter on that- do I smack it first and let it ballon up, smack, shake, cut and pour? or just build the starter and add the yeast cold?

I'm thinking amberish with some gambrius honey malt...

Got another bucket so I just need to get my styrofoam in the lager shed and make sure it's not freezing and I should be all good.
Dec 10th, 2008
7:35 pm
I like to smack it and let it expand before making a sarter just to be certain of viability, but you don't really have to let it expand. You can just go right into your starter wort without smacking if you like.
Author: DavidS
Dec 10th, 2008
9:30 pm
"I like to smack it and let it expand"

Now that's a little more information than I needed.
Author: Mikeybrew
Dec 11th, 2008
11:24 pm
I am surprised that nobody commented about "Getting into the habit"

M
Subject: online shopping coupons
Author: promoocodes
Jun 6th, 2017
7:14 am
When I looked around on the internet to find the best fashionable solutions and then realised that latest online fashion statement is available in https://www.promoocodes.com/ which provides best deals and offers on all fashion stuff with exclusive discount coupons.

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.