Home » Forum » Edme yeast? Register | Login
Subject: Edme yeast?
Author: radtek
Dec 12th, 2007
7:09 am
I brewed my Imperial ESB with the s-33 (edme) yeast a couple of months ago. Very vigorous fermentation. Except that it stalled at 1.020. I let it sit for another month or so in primary. Still at 1.020. Another month- ahaaa! 1.010!

At first I was real disappointed with this yeast and swore I'd never use it again. But after kegging the ESB...

Very fruity! Peachy pear flavors to balance the hops and alcohol. I wondered why anyone wold ever use this yeast but now... Damn!

Should I use it again? She doesn't have a good rep...
Subject: Re: Edme yeast?
Author: snappy
Dec 12th, 2007
4:46 pm
it was at 1.020 for a full month and then it started fermenting again? did you do anything to it to start it back up? um. something fishy is going on ... did you track the temperature of the beer when you took the readings? if i had to guess what caused the beer to drop FG after holding steady for a full month i'd guess (in order): messed up gravity readings, infection, the yeast was stalled and started back up.
Dec 12th, 2007
5:33 pm
The only thing I can think what might have skewed the gravity would be suspended yeast in the sample. I draw it from the bottom- I have a spigot in the bucket. The sample was pretty cloudy.

The ale tastes great, so I'm ruling out an infection. It might have warmed up a few degrees so that might have promoted a little fermentation to finish it out.

In any case I'll try this yeast again since the estery notes are nice, but I'll mash a little lower and I won't have such a high gravity like this one (1.074). Normally, I use s-04 but I've never had this result in flavor with it. Ferments pretty clean like s-05.
Author: DConn
Dec 12th, 2007
7:04 pm
Suspended yeast shouldn't make any difference, should it? AFAIK, there has to be something actually dissolved into the liquid to make a difference.
Dec 12th, 2007
7:08 pm
See- I learn something new everyday. Btw, I meant the s-04 ferments clean like s-05. I'm not so sure s-33 does...
Author: DConn
Dec 12th, 2007
7:26 pm
S-04 clean? Wow, that's not the way I've perceived it. I've always thought it was yeasty and bready....
Author: Bopper
Dec 12th, 2007
7:59 pm
I think S-04 is a horrible yeast...Clean in which way? i would like to know! I don't think its very good for english style bitter, clean fermenting - NO and you would be better off using for baking bread. Fullers 1845 cultured from a bottle is 100% better, i think its Wyeast Labs 1968. No more S-04 for me.

Richard
Dec 12th, 2007
8:17 pm
Heh heh. I guess what I mean by clean is not much character resulting from using this yeast. I personally don't get yeasty or breadlike. I'm thinking though that my water is not good for these paler types of ale. Stouts and porters yes, but lighter SRM stuff- no. I did use all bottled water once in a bitter that I fermented with s-04. One of the better beers I've made. Very clear and one could taste the toffee notes from the malt. There might have been some bready flavors but I can't remember. I haven't been able to duplicate this with ordinary tap water.

My point about my very hard water (bicarbonate avg. 220 ppm) is that I think it is muddying up my flavor profiles and I'm not getting the opportunity to taste what you guys are talking about. I haven't brewed much lately, but I'm planning to go with bottled from now on.
Author: Jason3384
Dec 16th, 2007
11:29 am
I have no problem recommending S-04, it is in fact, my house yeast. I love it. But it is definitely not a clean fermenting yeast and it has a very distinctive signature. As for the s-33, I used it once, it was entirely unremarkable but inoffensive. But then I always ferment cold so that may be the reason why i tasted nothing from it.
Author: Decanthas
Dec 16th, 2007
7:24 pm
Take really detailed gravity / temperature samples next time you use it. Graph 'em! (I like graphs, I think they're cool.)
Author: manicmethod
May 12th, 2016
3:48 pm
I know this thread is nearly a decade old but I came across it when I used S-33 the first time and it stalled.

This was a single grain marris otter with a mash temp of 154 so it should be fairly fermentable so I was surprised when it stalled.

https://www.thebeerbug.com/main/beta/?id=20000c2a6908b0f5

Hopefully that link works, it shows the gravity and temp graphs over time. You can see that it dropped 15 points in the first couple days then stalled out around 1.027. I was out of town so I was just watching the beer not ferment online...

I got home and was trying to decide whether to repitch and it started back up, a week later, with no help from me. Now it is down to around 1.010.

This is mainly for Decanthas who likes graphs
Author: spargebag
May 14th, 2016
3:12 pm
I've had the same experience using westmalle yeast in brews over 1100 racked when stalled at 1020 added dry hops amonth later it was 1012...

« Back to Forum Index

Add a Reply

You are not logged in

Please login, or if you are not currently a member of Tastybrew.com, consider registering.